It has been thirteen long years since a new version of CurveExpert Basic has seen the light of day. But as of today, finally there is a new version! CurveExpert Basic 2.0.0 is now available in the download center, and features the same computational and graphing engine as is used in CurveExpert Professional. CurveExpert Basic is priced at $54USD, and upgrading from the old version (1.4) of CurveExpert Basic is only $20USD (upgrading available in the registered users area).
CurveExpert Basic is a subset of the functionality contained in CurveExpert Professional and is intended for more casual/infrequent users. The major features of the software are enumerated below:
- Easy-to-use User Interface: most mathematically-intensive applications are very difficult to use. CurveExpert Basic has a very intuitive interface, which allows you to import your data, generate results, and create publication-quality plots with very minimal effort. In fact, to import a file takes only four clicks, and generating a battery of results with associated graphs takes two more.
- Robust file import: data files come in many shapes and sizes, and CurveExpert Basic makes importing your data files very easy. The smart file reader avoids non-data areas of your file dynamically, and attempts to find labels for each column of data in your file.
- Publication quality graphs: The rendering of the plots is of publication quality, with full antialiasing support and the ability to customize each graph. Graphs can be saved to a variety of graphics file formats, and they may be directly copied and pasted into another application. Graphs are interactive, with zooming, panning, and autoscaling.
- Built-in models: over 60 built-in nonlinear models, with high-quality automatic initial guesses, are available for use. The provided models cover all of the major families.
- Custom models: you can also define models yourself, using a very large library of built-in mathematical functions, and parameters in your models can take any name that you like.
- Ranking of results: results are automatically ranked by your choice of score, correlation coefficient, standard error, or coefficient of determination.
- Validated: validated against the Statistical Reference Datasets Project of the National Institute of Standards and Technology. These datasets can be downloaded directly at http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/strd/general/dataarchive.html, but are also included verbatim in the CurveExpert Basic distribution for you to use yourself.
- Quality spreadsheet: the built-in spreadsheet allows you to manually enter data and/or modify it with a suite of data transformation tools. Data entry and cutting and pasting capabilities are as easy as Excel.
- Localization: Importing data or interoperating in European-style environments (which use a comma as a decimal) is extremely easy; regional settings are automatically obeyed, or can be selectively enabled in order to match your particular workflow.
- Logging: a log of actions is kept across sessions of the software, in case you need to recreate a particular result. A messages pane keeps you informed of the status of every computed result.
- Documentation: Extensive documentation in HTML and PDF format, available both directly from the software and online at http://docs.curveexpert.net/curveexpert/basic.
Users of the old version of CurveExpert Basic will quickly recognize the large number of new features available in CurveExpert Basic 2.0.0.